Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: child support

I went thru the same kind of thing. I filed for divorce and when I did my soon to be ex decided he wanted 50/50 now to my knowledge the new laws for the parenting plan is you both automatically get 50/50 custody unless you can prove him to be an unfit parent. I have two little girls that I have always been the primary caretaker and I did not have a choice but to let him have 50/50 custody. I know the only reason why he wanted 50/50 is so that he would not have to pay as much child support. All the courts did when they chaged the rules was to give all the men out there a way not to have to pay child support. I have been thinking about this alot and wish I knew how to go about changing the new law. Luckily for me I had been married more than 10 years and can get alimnony which he is not willing to do so there for in November I will be going to court to fight for it. I wanted to fight for the 50/50 also but my lawyer basically said that you have to pay to have someone come out and evaluate every one and then he can still get 50/50 so you just paid all that money out for nothing because unless they find he is a threat to the kids he will still get 50/50 custody. I hope this helps you but if you want any other info you can email me at kmargarido@hotmail.com.

I don't trust the joint account thing...that doesn't even sound like a good idea. Do you have a good attorney?

That is a good question. I thought I did but who really knows?? I have asked several other attorneys and mine is well respected.

The 50/50 thing gets me too.
I have full physical custody of my children, he has visitations.
But then my ex works sometime 16 hours a day 6 days a week......
I would still look into it it further.
Watch out for alimony...you have to claim that at the end of the year, just incase you didn't already know that. I didn't.

I've been told I have no rights to alimony? I think the lawyers know exactly whats going to happen and they just drag it out for the money!

Are you living with someone? Not just a man but anyone? My first attorney said I couldn't file for alimony because I lived in a man's house??!! I didn't quite understand how where I lived effected things but I guess it does. Heck the man's house I lived in was in texas for 6 months and was just happy his house was being used

We are all still living in the same house.

Ah then that is why. When you move out or he moves out file again.

Thanks for your response.