Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deciding whether or not to let it go!

I have been married to my spouse for almost 10 years and have always shared a close connection with him until 2 years ago. He was working around female students and decided to have ongoing phone/text relationships with these women after the course was completed. He has never worked around females before in his line of work so I feel this was a huge ego boost for him. I feel that he was not cheating physically (more mentally) but it could have gotten worse if I didn't catch on so quick. He basically got busted and I was completely shocked by his behavior. I decided to forgive him and try to move on but he still continues to be dishonest about dumb stuff. I have never known him to be sneaky or lie before this but it almost feels like he can not get this freedom he desires out of his system now. We actually seperated for 3 weeks while I was prego with my son, he is now 7 mo old. I am trying my best to keep my faith and family together but I'm starting to feel like maybe its not meant to be. He tried to sneak out last Friday night, I'm at a loss ( now he wants to go hang out at bars). I threatened him that I would go back home with the kids but he does not want me to leave. He feels that our situation isn't that bad but hes still remains distant/dishonest. Why not set us free, I have suffered enough the last two years. My daughter is 7 and loves her father to death but its not enough to make us get along. Hes tired of my nagging and I'm tired of being miserable! Why can't I just leave but I'm scared of making a mistake and my kids not growing up with their father. My heart and mind are telling me I will be disappointed with him in the near future. He doesn't realize how much he hurt me because it has never happend to him! How do I let it go? Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Re: Deciding whether or not to let it go!

I suggest that you ask him to go to counseling. If he loves you and wants it to work he will go. Some men don't think they need counseling ( mine didn't until I left then he wanted it, begged for it)
We all like our ego stroked every once in a while, and that is okay. Just because your married don't mean your dead right? It's when it's taken to the next level that it becomes dangerous. If he is sneaking out or lying then he is taking it to far.
My ex didn't think anything was wrong with his behavior. He loved the bars and loved the women who were there. Well I decided one night to go out. I told him I was going to get milk ( had 2 gall in the fridge, lol) Stopped at the bar. The bar owners and I are friends so I chatted with them for about 2 hours. I hardly ever drink so I wasn't there to get drunk just to prove a point. Called my ex and told him I was stuck in traffic LOL How many times I heard excuses from him I was wanted to see how he liked it. It was 10pm on a Wed. NO TRAFFIC
Anyhow long story short He was super ticked off. Tables were turned and he didn't like it.
There is a fine line drawn when it comes to cheating. Only you can determine if his mental "affairs" are over the line.
I didn't have to worry about mental affairs, my ex liked the physical affairs to much

Ty I think I will take your advice and ask him to either go to counseling or complete the love dare book. Either way better than nothing. I need him to agree due to the fact our way is not working. He refused counseling in the past. It seems like my effort goes on and on, I'm so tired! Yeah I'm going to give this marriage a few more months but if nothing improves I have no choice but to leave. I'm running out of fight, wanting my husband back!

I hear you loud and clear. I was there. My stbx said nobody was going to tell him who he could talk to, she's "just a friend" and tons of other things to explain his emotional affair. I finally realized that he's never going to stop hanging around her and that was more than I could take. So now we're living in the same house while going through the divorce process. He still "talks" to this woman, knowing how badly it hurt me and knowing it completely destroyed our marriage. He still sees her every week or so and talks to her "as a friend". It just infuriates me. I can't wait to get the divorce done and over with.
It might be that your dh is never going to change and you're going to have to go through this the rest of your life.