Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Survey....Did you stay in the marital house or move out?

I moved out. After ten years in the same place, it was a huge wrench to leave...but the place wasn't in the best repair, despite our best efforts both on our own dime and pleading with the landlord to please, please, fix thus and such because we cannot do it ourselves.

Flash forward to this year, fifteen months after I moved out and seven months after he moved himself, the trashy gf and all the children out, and every single thing we begged the landlord to fix has been done, and done in spades.

Be careful with this issue. The question, in addition if she should move out or not states that she want to purchase another home. If she is still married her state laws could allow him to own half of the new house even though he is not the one purchasing the home.
In some states you have to wait until the diroce is final or get a court order that when you purchase the home the ocurt will recognize that the home is soley yours and will not be considered marital property even though it wass aquired during the marriage...it all depends on state laws.
Another thing she may need to consider is if the mortgage on the old home is in both her and his names. If this is the case when she goes to qualify for the new mortgage she will need a high enough income to qualify for both the old mortgage and new mortgage, not just the new one regardless of who is ordered to pay the new mortgage, the bank does not care. She will need enough money to support herself and pay both mortgages to qualify.

I moved out with my three girls. It was gut wrenching to have to leave my home. I moved out in august, and although it is still tough on me, i have rented a cute little place in a nice quiet town away from where we were. it has been difficult for the kids because they had to change schools, but i think they are dealing with it well. They also like the new place.
I stayed in our home until I finally got a permanent support order. I had to know how much i would be getting to see what i could afford.
It was difficult to find a place that would take me because my income right now is child support and unemployment (i work 5 months out of the year each year so i get unemployment when i am not working). so many landlords said that they couldnt rent to me because i was a risk, they couldnt rely that my husband would pay the support. I finally found one that would take me. Now my husband isnt paying all of the support and i am struggling to pay the bills. I am waiting for the support collections service to get on him for the money he owes, but it takes a while. I am using money from my kids savings to pay the bills but plan on paying them back when i get money. I have been looking for full time work, but the only jobs i find are ones that by the time i pay for child care and payroll taxes, i will have made more money getting unemployment. The company that i work for has been nice to me, they are trying to find me extra work for the off season, i am hoping that it will pay more. I need to be able to take care of the kids myself.
Thing is, he has moved back into my home with his brother and two other guys. So i know he is getting rent money from them, but he still isnt paying the mortgage. He says he is working a deal with the mortgage company but he hasnt asked me to sign anything ( i am on the mortgage too and for any changes i would have to sign) so either he is just not bothering and is gonna stay there till it forecloses, or he is up to something. It scares me because i have read in some posts that leaving the house is abandonment, but he left first. i just hope he isnt trying to pull something over on me. I think he is just lazy and drunk and doesnt understand how mortgages work. I always did everything. Just like he wants the support lowered, he told me to tell my lawyer to have it lowered, yeah ok. i told him to file a petition with the court, but he wont cause he doesnt understand how to do it but maybe he will save money to pay the lawyer to do it. He never filed for divorce either. too cheap to pay the lawyer and cant do it himself.
All in all, I am glad i moved out. as heart wrenching as it was to leave my home, and have my kids leave, we are doing fine here, just as long as i can keep up with the bills we will be ok.