Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
can i ask for some money back?

I hired someone(not a lawyer or paralegal) to do divorce papers. I already paid him all the service fees up front. For the fees paid to him, he promised to fill out the papers for me, and take me to court to file papers. But now my husband and I don't want to divorce. I asked him for some refund but he refused and said he had done literally all the work so he wanted to keep all the money. I told him that he hadn't done all the work that he'd promised to do, all he did was filling out the forms (which were not completely done yet), and my husband didn't sign the papers yet, nor did the papers get served,and he hadn't taken me to court to file papers yet. He didn't say anything about the fees being non-refundable at the beginning. I don't know what to do now to get some money back from him. Any advices? Thanks in advance.

Re: can i ask for some money back?

Most fees (attorney or not) are binding. My first attorney didn't do squat. I still had to pay her $1200. My second attorney didn't do much, no where near what I paid him to do, still I was out another $1500. My new attorney is doing all the work I paid attorney #1 and attorney #2 for....Sorry you are out the money, I know that it must feel like a waste. But look at it this way you and your husband have worked it out which is amazing in the divorce process. I already know of a couple who went through the whole divorce both of them spent over $4000 to get it done...they have since remarried. They look at it as an investment in their future.