Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parents Divorce

After I discovered my mom cheating on my dad, they decided to get a divorce and it was left up to myself, my brother, and sister as to who would be legally responsible for us. I decided to stay with my dad in order to get away from the drama my mom was causing, and I honestly have no desire to stay here with her and her new guy. I decided to stay with my dad, and this has caused so many fights. My mom's mom basically blew me out for deciding to go with my dad. She told me I was stupid and that since my mom paid my car payment that she was going to take my car away and that my dad would never let me see my mom or her, which is not true. I've no idea what to do. I thought my parents and grandparents were supposed to be the mature ones? It's not my fault I have to make this decision, is it?

Re: Parents Divorce

That was a big decision to place on you and your brother and sister but I think you made a very mature decision. Your dad lost enough and if your mother was unahppy she should have left neverthe less adults sometimes feel that by putting the children in the middle will make things go their way, Don't let them push you into something that you know is not right and you are right it is not you fault. Stay strong and things will work out. Prayer always work!

It sounds like you have already made a wise decision. You seem to be a collected 16 year old, and obviously more mature than your mother and grandparents. What is your father doing or saying about this manipulation? Have you talked to a school counselor about this? You might find some help there.
How about a pastor at your/a church?

As hard as it might seem, try hard to let the "adults" handle the "adult" problems. As a 16 year old, try to stay focused on your schoolwork, friends, clubs, etc. It helps to stay busy.

Hang in there! You can get through this.

It must be very painful dealing with your Mother's selfish and childish behavior. When the temporary thrill of her new guy has passed, she may behave in a more adult manner.

If you are a member of a church, seek counseling there. Lean on your Dad for support, he probably needs a hug right now too.

It sounds like you made the right decision. You should be with the parent that is more emotionally stable. Don't let your mother guilt you into living with her when you know it's the wrong decision.

All the best,
Wendy