Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mediation and temporary Custody Rights?

Does anyone know hoe it works? I was told by a lawyer that if we go to mediation the judge will still honor my temporary full custody order. I have an ex who is not violent but who has an abusive father that he reconnected with prior to leaving me and I am so frightened that he is going to take my 8 year old around his estranged father.
I want to know if it is true that if the case goes to mediation (which it should since he is going to fight me)...will I continue to keep the temporary full custody in my favour until we go back to court? Can anyone help me with this?

Re: Mediation and temporary Custody Rights?

Mediation is where you both try to come up with solutions for the divorce. If you can't agree then it goes back to court. So nothing is changed unless you agree. As far as your child you can put stipulations in the agreement that he cannot take your child around the fil. And if he agrees to that then you are good as gold. I am from Florida and my alcoholic ex agreed to no visitation because of a criminal case. However my attorney told me if we went to court he would have gotton supervised visitations. Because in Fl they only have shared parental responsibility now. a little crazy in some situations. Mediation can be your best friend

thank you very much~

Just don't crack if it is something you feel strongly about. I had to give a bit on small matters but I refused to give on the big ones...we still ended up in court. He didn't like how things went.