Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 17 year old daughter moves in with dad

I also had a niece who did the same thing. So, they are teenagers. When things got rough dad left, so they think that's what you do. Having rules is no fun as a teen, if you can get away with less, you do. My niece decided her mom's rules were too harsh (she is even more relaxed with rules than I am, and I am pretty relaxed, so this was seriously JUST stuff to keep her safe). She ended up coming back after a year. And she is happier now home where she belongs. I agree with everyone else, it is typical of teens and to take advantage. My parents are still married but I remember as a teen FANTASIZING that I was adopted so i could go somewhere else! So sure, they have the opportunity to bounce back and forth to get what they want, they will. I know I would have and I wasn't a 'bad' kid, I was just lonely. And of course she has to say you kicked her out, they do dramatize so. I hope all works out for you, dealing with this age is tough enough and throwing divorce into the mix doesn't make it any easier! Keep the love between you and keep the faith the courts won't bother, I do think it is quite typical. My eldest is 16 and if my stbx ever gets the F out of my house and he wants to go live with him...see ya. I'd do exactly what you did. And I wouldn't feel guilty. They'll get it. She has a bit more growing up to do but she'll be back. And she'll be more appreciative of all you do for her. It's hard when you need them to help and they do this. I always say I would like your help, it makes my life less stressful. But I can do it all. It's harder but not impossible. I don't NEED help, but I strongly appreciate it!! She might realize. So tough being a teen when you think you know everything but don't and so tough on us parents. But ours survived it and so will we!