Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inexpensive financial advice?

Does anyone know where I can go to get some cheap or free advice about our finances? Husband is pressuring to come to an agreement but I really need help to be sure I will be okay after the few years of support he will give me. Through our 32 year marriage, he has always made 80% of our income. I went back to work 15 years ago after staying home with our kids but the money I make was really just extra, spending, fun money. Now, I am suddenly in a place where in 3 short years, I may have to survive on my tiny income. Husband wants me to sell the house, (I might have to because there is probably no way I can buy out his half), but I do not want to have to pay rent every month for the rest of my life. In 7 years the house would be paid for which pretty much lines up with my timeline for retirement. If I have to pay rent, there will be no retirement possible. I need help with this and other financial issues.

Re: Inexpensive financial advice?

In my community Lutheran Social Services has financial counseling. I believe it's $50 for an initial consultation.