Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sister's husband left her, has 1-month-old infant, no job

Hello,

My younger sister married a few months ago and just had a baby. Her husband left her for another woman. She has no job and he has all of the money. He has expressed that he is not interested in being a full time father.

He asked for a divorce, but we are certain he will not file.

I live in another state and am trying to do everything I can do to help her during this difficult time. Can anyone give me some direction on filing with no money? Is this even possible? Are there organizations who could possibly help her move in the right direction?

I know you can file without a lawyer, but custody is my concern. How can you divorce without a lawyer when a child is involved?

Re: Sister's husband left her, has 1-month-old infant, no job

This is terrible. The first thing she should do is see an attorney, to find out where she stands/rights, etc......the first visit is a consultation and usually free. Whether he wants to be a father or not, is irrelent....by law he has to pay child support.

Re: Sister's husband left her, has 1-month-old infant, no job

All I can offer is my sympathy. I'm afraid I don't have much expertise in this area. There are a few women on this site that are very knowledgeable... hopefully one will see the post and respond.

In the meantime do all of the research you can to find out what support is out there for her-housing, food, formula, diapers, medical. Be pesky. Even if she has not been abused a woman's shelter might be able to give you some advice and a direction to turn. Wishing her all the best. She's lucky to have your support!