Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
50/50 Custody & running into problems

I have 50/50 custody with my child's father. He recently went on a stealing binge - robbing his mother, neighbor and a family friend. Nothing has been brought to court about this yet, and I don't know that any charges were even pressed. In the meantime he checked himself into a mental health program where he stayed for almost two weeks. He was recently released. The moment he got out he went and filed his taxes, claiming our daughter. I don't think this is fair since he does not hold a steady job therefor does not pay child support as ordered. Last year when I claimed her H&R Block told me that in cases like ours the parent with the higher adjusted gross income was deemed eligible to claim the child. He has also lost the medical coverage for our child since he left his last job. I am struggling financially trying to support my daughter without help from him for anything, clothes daycare tuition - not even paying the measly $40/week in child support as court ordered. Since his tax claim has already been filed and he received his return how do I go about getting that money I feel I deserve to support my child??

Also, while he was in the mental health program I tried getting emergency full custody of my daughter since he was very unstable & I was not sure what he would be like when released, but was told to file the papers and wait for a court date. That unless he did something to the child directly their hands were tied as I don't really have any solid proof. Any suggestion as to how to go about getting the help I need with my case? I don't know where to start and certainly can't afford a lawyer.

Re: 50/50 Custody & running into problems

Call the court house, ask for the family court. Ask them who can help you get child support.
All states have agencies just for this purpose and the help is free.
you can also go to the courthouse and ask for a form to file for "contempt of court" for him not paying. fill out the form and give to the clerk of the family court. they will tell you what to do.
They will make him pay or put him in jail.