Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keeping in touch with his family....??

I had a great relationship with my mother-in-law. She was like my own mother. Since the divorce she told me she was always going to be there for me and my kids. Well guess what, as soon as her son went and cried to her and tell her his side of the story, of course she took his side and I am the wicked witch of the west. Take care of your self and your daughter.

I have a great relationship also with my in-laws. They are beautiful people and have been part of my life and my family for 20yrs. I received an email this morning from my mother in law telling me she has some things to give me from her mother, my husbands grandmother.

I was quite surprised by this, but also felt that they still want me to be part of their family. As hard as its going to be if and when this divorce happens, you are all so right, blood is thicker than water. So I keep in touch, as my father in law and grandmother are both not well. I know if one day I do move on they will always be part of my life, I do love them both and they do love me. Pity their son doesn't share their feelings!

My Mother in law hated me from day one,feelings are mutual.
She tried to take over as Mom in my life and I have a wonderful Mother whom I wouldn't trade for the world. She ( MIL) hated that.

It seems to be based on individual relationships.

My mother hates my ex (feelings mutual I think). My ex in laws love me to bits. Ex mum in law tells me I will always be her daughter. Our bond is very strong and though she loves her son, she is able to see he can be a complete prat and above all she wants me to be happy, with or without her son.
She used to warn him he wasnt appreciating me.

So yes it depends. I avoided them at first because I simply didnt know what to say but my mum in law made it so easy for me. Im lucky.
My sister in law is more my friend than in law. She loves me and has advised me against her brother when she has seen how its destroyed me. She loves her brother and wants us to be together but not if he is going to make me unhappy.

There is a fair balance I think.

Just be mindful that there may be times you are struggling and dont want to see them because of the connection. Also unless you tell them specifically, converstaions will usually involve info about ex. I am able to say 'lets not mention your son/brother'.

I dont see that we have to lose a group of people we love but it depends on each individual.

Good luck.

I don't know and good luck with that. My Mother -in-law has always told us if anything happens between us she gets me. Well they can see into my kitchen as I'm cooking dinner and we have managed to not be outside at the same time in over a month. So you tell me.