Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeling rejected

It is ABSOLUTELY doable. I joined a domestic violence support group yesterday and listening to 10 other woman tell stories that I thought only I had lived through made me realize that we are not alone. The key is being proactive in getting yourself through this. I saw that episode of Two and a Half Men and you are right. I wanted to be the one to leave him for all he has done to me but like my pro bono lawyer said, let him pay for all the filing fees, he is going to be the one hurting at the end. For years, I couldn't look in the mirror because I hated the person I allowed myself to become by staying when I knew in my heart it was wrong. It wasn't until I realized that my kids have witnessed this for 19 and 14 years (their entire lives) and if anyone would ever touch my daughter the way my husband put his hands on me, I would be capable of violence myself. I had to lead by example and like I said, be proactive, not reactive to his abuse and show my daughter no one deserves to treat you any other way but with respect. I had suspected that my 19 year old son's girlfriend had hit him because he had a mark on his head and said he walked into the molding in his bedroom. I used that one many times myself when I lived home. His girlfriend also comes from an abusive home so I saw a pattern emerging here and I wanted to show my son that he cannot be hit or hit a woman. He became as verbally abusive as my husband is toward me in the last year. I cut him off too now with much heartache but I will demand nothing less than respect. I don't mean to ramble but just to give some background of how bad it was and I NEVER thought I would leave him. I am SO HAPPY HE LEFT ME!!!!!!! He is still playing head games with me even after he moved out but the only difference now is that I do not respond to him. That is power!!!!!! Like my therapist told me, this is the end of your nightmare and the beginning of the other woman's.
Get yourself moving a little bit everyday and in time it will become part of your life. Exercise releases stress which helps you think, feel, sleep and act better. My therapist also gave me a great piece of advice, act in a way that will make your children proud. Rise above him. Enough said.
Good Luck.