Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I can't file my taxes because he filed first

Ladyrb - there's also the Injured Spouse paperwork - you can find it on IRS.gov. If the Flea has been signing your name, yes, that is forgery. Good luck with the pursuit of justice...LOL!

I asked Jerk to file jointly and he never got back to me. So I went and filed and took everything I could. Was he ever P***ed! So he e-mailed me and asked if I didn't think it would be "fair" that we each claimed 1 child from here on out. I threw his favorite word, 'entitled', back in his face. I told him that as I understood the law I was 'entitled' to claim both children. I suspect it's not over yet, but it felt good. Had he gotten his act together we could have filed jointly. Dumba$$

- Taxation issues could be a complicated part of divorce that could further add to the all the psychological, emotional and financial burden that each of the divorcing party goes through. It's definitely an advantage that you know your rights.
Here's one site I happened to come across with that contains some significant information about taxation in relation to Taxation and Divorce I certainly hope this would help.

Hire a good tax accountant.

I wanted to provide an update on the tax situation. As I mentioned earlier, when filing electronically on the 18th failed I mailed the forms in thru regular mail that evening still claiming my two children. I spoke with an accountant 2 days later who told me that since I mailed the forms in by the due date I now have 3 yrs to file an amended return. Also, she said just let the IRS find the problem and they will sort it out. The fact that i was the major bread winner last year means that I had the right to file as Head of Household meaning I had the right to claim both children not him. I guess we'll see what the IRS says.