Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How should I react?

Glad the bite appears to be OK. It is ridiculous when drinking takes priority over taking care of your children. He only has the kids every other weekend and he can't stay away from the alcohol that long? There's a problem! Let us know how this plays out.

Re: How should I react?

SInce the day I brought my oldest home I told my ex he would never again have a beer in the house. I may have let my ex walk all over my feelings but this was one thing I stood strong about over the years. I guess that is why he felt the need to go out to the bar? I have told my ex time and time again that he will not drink in front of our kids and he slipped up once or twice but not without a HUGE fight. I can't understand why you would want your kids to see you make an ass out of yourself? I think I thought that he would choose his family over a drink, but I was wrong. It became more and more frequent as the years passed. Every Friday thru Sunday I was home alone with the kids and he was out living the life as a teenager. I can count on one hand how many times I have gone out since the kids were born and NEVER did they see me less then "perfect" lol. I would have them go overnight at my sisters. This way I knew they were okay and even then I really couldn't get drunk because my thoughts were always "What if something happens and they need me?" Kind of a buzz kill. It is so beyond my train of thought to just ignore their safety and get drunk.
My ex's family has a history of alcohol abuse. His Mother drinks like a fish. His older brother has countless DUI's and drinks every day for the time he gets home till he passes out. Younger brother is into drugs and drinking. Sister sneaks liquor in her coffee on a daily basis. If you go further back two of his uncles spent time in jail because of their drinking habits. One Aunt killed herself while due to depression and her blood alcohol levels were off the charts when it happened.So yes the fear of them (my boys) having this problem sits high on my list of worries. This is another reason I enforced the order that they are not to be left alone with his family.
I hope that he takes what I said to heart and changes how he is. If not I will take his kids away from him and I will ensure that he never sees them again. Their safety is more important then his drinking.