Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need suggestions for getting out!

As my daughter looks forward to moving away to college (across the country), I'm seeing that empty nest looming over me. My husband walked out 9 months ago after 23 years of marriage. I have great friends but all are married or in relationships. I attend Alanon meetings because of alcoholism in my son and my family of origin. I enjoy movies, reading, scrapbooking....What do you suggest as a good first step to getting out? I've thought of ballroom dancing... :)

Re: Need suggestions for getting out!

Maryann,

Try meetup.com - they have group activities based on interests. I joined a knitting and photography club and have had good experiences. Also look at crafting stores in your area. They often have scrapbooking events. You could also join a book club at your local library or take an interesting class at a community center. Let me know how it goes!
Teresa

How about auditing an interesting class at a University?

I recently started going to pinochle at my local church. I'm probably the world's worst player, but so far they've all been lenient on me.

This is probably a time of great pain for you still. There is nothing which heals the soul better than giving back. I would recommend throwing some charity work of some kind in the pot. Are you interested in maybe having another relationship? I don't know your age group but many churches have singles groups. The church I attend for my divorce recovery class (not my church) has a singles group and they do good works through out the community. Their are alot of nice men who are single either through divorce or being widowed. You can fill your day and night with a combination of things. Try something and if it doesn't work for you try something else. For the first time in your life your time is probably your own. Go enjoy it.

Thats a great idea! Others could be taking a different kind of class (crafts?), volunteer work, joining a divorce group, book reading group...anything you can think of...its out there!