Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: empowering

Hi, let us hear from you again. I have been married for 37 years to a complete control freak! Just to say he kept all our assets from me and made me live just above proverty levels. I found a large sum of money he hide from me. This money was my ticket to freedom. I felt I had no options in life. As strange as it seems the money empowered me to stand up for myself. I immediately filed for divorce. As I continued to take actions I felt stronger and stronger. I began to find myself. The problem was I didn't really want a divorce I just wanted things to be the way they were in the beginning of my marriage when we truely loved each other. My husband was very bitter to say the least! We were still in the family home together but did not speak. After two months I started to leave him little notes which at first he tore up. I took my new found confidence and continued to leave more notes. What did I have to lose at this point. Finally one day he spoke to me. We are trying to reconcile. I want this to work! I have found enough strength through this site and the friends here to know I need to continue to stand up for myself and make sure things are going to actually change. I am empowered enough to go the distance and follow through with the divorce if I have to. I was empowered by the little victories that blossomed into bigger victories. I was empowered to see a little of my husbands soul and realized he was as frightened as I was. I find empowerment by discovering who I actually am and by the strength which was buried so deeply inside of me. I haven't cancelled the divorce yet. I need to know this is going to work. Besides I gave my attorney 10,000 dollars and don't want to have to start over again. Look for the strength which all women have inside of them. We are the stronger sex as it turns out.

Wow, Kathleen. I feel empowered just reading your post. I am so proud of you as I am all the women here who reached out to this forum and are searching to empower themselves again. This forum is truly a blessing and so are all of you.

PS For some reason this thread makes me think of that movie "The First Wives' Club" I watched this movie after my divorce and enjoyed it very much. I don't know if anyone here has seen it, "Great empowerment movie". It is an older movie, but funny. It stared Beth Midler, Goldie Horn and Diane Keaton. If you have a chance, you should really watch it.

Susan

Thanks for reminding me of that movie, Susan. I actually think I own it. That would be a fun evening movie to watch while I knit baby blanket for my new grandchild coming in October!