Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Frustrated

I am so glad that you are taking your son to counseling despite ex's objections. I agree that it would be good to have a few sessions together but doubt he would go for it. Maybe the counselor will have your son write a letter to give to his dad telling him how he feels. I have done this myself and know some kids whose counselor had them do this.

If you haven't already done this I would take the divorce papers to the school and show them that you have custody during the week so that ex can't get them from school again. They will stop him in the future and YOU won't be the bad guy.

As for the financial end I wish I could tell you something helpful. I see and hear this over and over. Try explaining it in terms a 10 year old can understand. There is no need for him to know exact details. Get some play money. Make two piles, one the income in your house, one with twice as much for daddy's house (2 incomes vs one). Explain the it take so much money to pay the bills and take the same amount from each pile. Make sure your pile has some left. (My 15 year old worries about my finances, don't want to add that concern to his worries). Show him that there is more money in Daddy's pile and that is normal when there are two people bringing money in, therefore they have more money to spend on extra stuff.

Is your son getting an allowance? If not can you afford to give him one? Even if it is just $1 a week. Maybe learning that if you want something you need to save up for it would be a good lesson for him. Also then he would be able to buy Mom a gift, I know it's not important to us but it IS important to them.

Good luck and hope your son gets to feeling better about things soon. Sounds like he is a very lucky kid to have you for a Mom.

Happy Mothers Day

skcornelius my son is the same way. He worries about everything, where money is concern and he also sees the flea(ex) has more money than mommy, you are doing a great job with your son. keep him in therapy and encourage him to tell the therapist everything, how he feels and how his father makes him feel. My sons therapist told him write a letter to give to the flea, but my son is so afraid of the flea that he told the therapist NO. Keep doing the good job and encourage your kids to open up to their father. Take care

It is better for you to counsel for you to know on what to do with your children and how to learn the adjustment to the divorce. Best help if you'd check this out, divorce guide. Hope it would get better.