Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mortgages/ Prequalified

I don't know what it's like where you live, but in my state a house would be considered marital property. I wouldn't buy a house while going through the divorce process. He could claim half of it.

Re: Mortgages/ Prequalified

May,
You mentioned that some of his bad debt shows up on your credit report. Either this reporting is an error or you are also responsible for the bad debt. If you do not recall signing for any loan you need to contact the lender on your credit report and have them prove it belongs to you, if they can not provide you proof then they must remove the debt from your name, this would include your credit report.
If you live in a community property state, only a few are community property state (mine is) then even if the house is in his name only, unless you signed the property away, then it belongs to you and him, not just him. So goggle your state for it's community property status, if yours is, then 1/2 of everything is yours. This does nto mean you will get it in the divorce settlement, however you will most likley get half of the value of the property. Non-community property states are different, if it is in his name chances are good that what is his is his and what is yours is yours.
As for spousal support you should not have to wait until the divorce is final, if you indeed are entitled to spousal support than it could start as early as a judge orders this, you will need to have your attorney file a temporary motion for spousal support, Keep in mind you will only get spousal support if the court rules you are entitled to it, this is not always a guarentee. My states ruling on spousal support is different than most states my state has nothing to do with the length of marriage or work status of the spouse, it simple is based on one persons need and the other persons ability to meet the need, very good for the receiving spouse. My ex quit working the day I filed for divorce and he got spousal support because he had the need and I could meet the need, end of story.
Good luck.