Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dating

I'm in my fourth month of separation and was wondering the same thing. I don't want to sabotage the next relationship with paranoia and frustrations from my marriage and right now I'm just busy with finishing my masters and moving back. But I know when I come there is a big possibility that I will start dating someone. But I am trying to have some time for myself too and I won't be moving with a man anytime soon. I've been told to take things slow. It sounds like good advice to me.

I don't think there are hard and fast rules, but I definitely rushed things. I began dating at 6 months post separation; went out with 3 guys and then met #4, whom I now live with, at 10 months after my separation; we lived together after 1 month. There is a difference between having dinner out and moving in with them. Evidently I did not know how to keep it light after a 30 year marriage. If you could do no sex for 1 year post separation it would truly benefit you in my opinion. I definitely have messed up my life even worse than it was when the ex left me for the OW.

Theres no set time frame. Just be sure that you have no more hang-ups about your ex that could carry over into something new.

I too grieved my marriage before I left. We were done for about two years before I moved out. There was no communication, hugs or kisses, and at the time I left it had been a year and a half since we had sex. Still...for me it took 8mos before I started thinking of someone new. I needed time alone. Time to get adjusted to my new life and being on my own. I also wanted to make sure that I wasnt going to be taking any drama with me too.

I started dating and met some nice guys. No one I wanted to see again , but nice people all the same. Then I found my current bf.

Good luck and have fun!