Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Really supportive

Feel this is minor compared to some of the issues here.

My 15 year old told me today that he is dating someone. House rule before divorce was that kids don't get to date until 16 (may seem a little harsh given today's standards but feel that is part of the problem with things today).

Called ex. His response was there was not much he could do about it. Gave son the TALK only. **** it irritates me that for ex relationships are ALL about sex.

Why is it okay (but Mom has a problem with it) for our 15 year old to date when it wasn't okay for the rest of the kids to date at 15?

There are so many things it seems he wasn't willing to be honest with me about his feelings. I honestly don't know why he did this.Those time he did tell me how he honestly felt I gave in to his feelings.

Resentment built when he told me one thing and then did something else. AM I to blame? I believed his words. Shame on me.

Re: Really supportive

Does your son live with you? He needs to abide by your rules, no matter what they are. He is still a minor. You can't do anything about what the x says or does...YOU are his mother and have rules that need to be obeyed.

The shame does NOT belong to you. Put it where it belongs. On the person who behaves shamefully~

I don't think waiting until 16 to date is harsh at all. That was the rule for my girls too. I agree with Allison--if he lives in your house, he lives by your rules. It's not right that his dad can try to be the "good" guy by disagreeing with you on this when it was the rule for the rest of your kids.

I agree with the others. Your rules are your rules, and if he knows this is a rule he can break, what other rules will he think he can break? You don't make rules for your kids because it is convenient for you (it's way easier to give them what they want), you make rules because you think it's in their best interest in the long run, to help mold them into caring, responsible adults with a bright future.