Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kids health insurance

Well I have to say I don't know for sure, but it seems to me the logical, right thing is to pay for the kids only. Why would you pay for health insurance for his new wife and baby? I am not a lawyer so I can't say 100% but if you end up paying for his new wife and baby to have health insurance there is something very wrong with our system. Please let me know what happens.

Teresa

I would say that you only have to pay half of your childs portion if I had to guess. When ex had to pay me back child support, part of which was for the Ins that I had for myself and my son, they just figured what the premium would be for just my son and halved it.

In my state you would ask the employeer for the amount it costs for the children that are added to the adults in this family plan. They have a cost for employee and spouse, the additional amount is for the children, this is the amount you will divide equally by the amount of children. Lets say that the children portion is exactly 100.00 and you together with your ex had three children, he with his new wife has one child, the portion that belongs to your children together is 75.00. Are you court order to pay the entire portion of the childrens insurance or only a percentage, if a percentage than take that amount from the example of 75.00, if the full amount then as in the example 75.00 would be the amount you have to pay.
Not sure where the 1/5th came into the equation.

Thank you for your reply.

The one fifth comes into play with his thinking that there are 5 people on his policy, 2 of them are our kids together. He thinks that we should split the cost of his family plan coverage, which would be one fifth of what he pays because he and I split the cost of the insurance - since we have 2 kids, I'd pay for one of the kids.

But I don't think it's right that I subsidize his family plan policy. Which is why I called his benefits dept. and they were kind enough to do a complete break down of insurance costs for just the kids only.

I thought I'd throw this question out to all you ladies because I know I'm not the first one to encounter this problem.

I am amazed you should have to pay anything. My ex always provided full insurance for our children. I however also put them on my coverage and between both of ours I never really paid any out of pocket. It really came in handy when my youngest daughter had to be hospitalized in a mental hospital. You might get some prices if you bought coverage independent from him for just the children. I sold insurance for thirty years and the rate for adults is much higher than children after the first year of their lives. Give him the figures for your portion given to you by his benefits dept based just on your children and give him that. I am under the impression you will pay for one child and him one. If he wants more let him go to court and see if they are going to make you pay more. I would tell him to call his benefits dept. and find out for himself what the cost for YOUR CHILDREN ONLY would be. He really does want his cake and eat it to!

I did send him the email his benefits dept. sent me. He replied back that he doesn't understand the figures and is going to talk to her himself and get back to me.

I did call my insurance to see what it would be to add one kid to my individual policy - it would be an additional $50 a month. The deductibles would be higher and we'd have more out of pocket expenses. But it makes sense that what his benefits person told me is in line with what it is for kids only.

I'm sure he's just royally ****** off that I actually did my homework on this and didn't just take his word for it. By now you'd think he'd figure it out that I don't believe a word he says and I do my homework on everything :-)

He thought I'd be paying almost $200 a month and now it appears I will only be paying $48. He's been complaining how he pays $900 a month in health insurance for all of them. Well, I'm not subsidizing his family plan!!! He doesn't like it, too bad. Maybe his homewrecking ********** should get a job and pay her fair share around there :-)