Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mental illness

What happens when there is a mental illness? He has been diagnosed with bipolar. That explains a lot. He is never alone with the kids. The ups/downs, moods, and so many, many, many other things.

Will this have any effect on the case? No one knows, all the people invloved, friends, GAL, therapist, lawyers, judge this informaiton. It explains alot of the accusations, the relationship with the kids, his mental and physical health change that I have seen, the claims to what he wants and wants.

I feel for him and what he going through and hope he gets his help. I also hope he moves on from saying it's all me.

I feel as what he has put me through I will continue to get through it and move onto something better in my life.

It's the kids and what they are going through, what he wants to put them through.

Is this the silver lining to say see there is something wrong and now what can be done?

Re: Mental illness

It's a silver lining for you.

Your lawyer will want to see if his behavior (addictions, dangerous high/low moods) will affect the children. If he cannot get it under control or won't go for treatment, then you most likely will be shown to be the more stable parent.

The judge could award physical custody to you...but he gets access time but the majority of the time, the children could be with you....it will depend how knowledgeable your lawyer is in court.

Stay out of his treatment...let him solve his own problems now.