Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What to tell my children?

I'm sorry it took me a while to respond to you. What you need to do (and I'm no authority!) is to give your kids lots of time, attention, and continuity in their routine. Kids thrive on routine, and that will give them a sense of stability now in that they will know just how their day is going to play out. Theyre feeling scared and theyre confused, so just shower them with lots of love. You cant really talk with the little one, but let the older one ask all the questions he needs to, and tell him that you know he is upset and that it is ok to feel sad.

I would tell him that moms do not ever leave their babies, but sometimes moms and dads just cant live together anymore. Keep telling him how you love him, he did nothing wrong, and that you will never leave him. I know youre already doing this!

When I left ex, I got a kids book from the bookstore about divorce and read it to my son. Maybe that would help. If there isnt anything in a bookstore or library you can look online. There are lots of books for little ones to help them understand and cope.

One other thing..and I know this is very hard..is to try to make sure you are keeping yourself in check around them. Kids pick up really fast on if you are upset and stressed. Just try to be as relaxed as you can and show a positive attitude around them. If they see you smiling it will rub off on them. Also, make sure that no one is speaking negatively around them about their dad.

I feel for you and know that this is sooooo hard. Its all going to be fine though. It will just take some time for them to adjust. Its still so new to them.