Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Divorce attorney

Free initial consultations are the norm. My ex went to one who did charge for the initial consult. I consulted 3 before I chose one. Actually, the one I chose never returned calls, so I went with my 2nd choice, who turned out to be excellent about always being there for me and returning calls.

Altogether the divorce cost me about $2500.

Dear Flower, I think it depends on how complicated your case is. I had to give my attorney $10,000 up front. This is his retainer which is fully earned by him no matter what. All other expenses such as experts ect where to be paid by me. I am 62 years old with no minor children to deal with. My husband and I are on the road to reconcilation. My case did not involve infidelity but was about you guessed it money and control. It will be well worth the 10,000 to stay married and solve the problems which lead me to file for divorce. I don't think my husband feels the same way. I live in Ca and the average lawyer is $450.00 per hour. I gave my lawyer $400 for the first 45 minute at the first visit. My daughter just happens to be a lawyer but I would not involve her in this as this is her dad.(step-father who has raised her since 3yrs.old) There are usually family law clinics that can help you. If you have minor children I would strongly advise you get good legal representation. I actually filed my own divorce 39 years ago to my first husband. We were very friendly and there really wasn't any fighting so it was easy. I had an open door policy and my ex could see or take the two girls 1 and 3 then whenever he liked or just visit at my home with them. This worked so well for us which is very rare I know. So many times the court is seen as the place it get even. I find those people who think of that part the same as a business transaction and leave their emotions out of that area fair the best. I know this is easier said then done. My hopes and prayers go with you. Try and put the hurt and pain in another place when you sort the legal parts out.

My attorney needed 3000 up front, I got $500 back in the end. She was a great attorney and actually had been divorced from a husband who cheated on her! The best one to get in my case. I guess you could say I was lucky in on respect, my ex wanted the divorce so bad and wanted to get back to the sl*t he was hooked up with he agreed to almost everything I asked for. Even though I came out with more money than he did and I get a higher percent of the profet from the house when it sells, even with all of that I would have given every penny up to save my marriage. This girl (and I use that term loosly) was someone he had dated 36 years ago and she had cheated on him with his best friend at that time. So after her 2nd divorce she came looking for my ex and knew all the right things to say to him in the middle of his mid life crisis and he fell for it hook line and sinker. Because he travels for work he is only at her house on the weekends and it is party time. He spends so much money on her, buys her things, pays her to let him live there and takes her out to dinner every weekend. I am sure he will start running out of money and have to slow down on the spending and I am also sure she will not like that. At this point I would love him to come crawling back to me after she kickes him out and I would love to slam the door in his face. None of that will happen I am sure but sometimes it is a nice thought.
Anyway back to the lawyer, all the ones I had called would let me come in and tell them what is basicly going on but if I wanted anything from them at all I would have to put a retainer down and if anything was left over I would get it back.