Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Child support

My husband has been paying his child support on time, sadly to say the ex convinced the 18 y/o and 19 y/o never to talk to dad. Well my question is Feb 1st of this year my husband 18 y/o son was incarserated( I think thats how you spell it)child support is suppose to stop this June, however the kid is not livng with her he has been in jail for 6mos but yet the ex collects child support for the child, is this right can she do this? I would think thats wrong. The court ordered states to recieve child support until age 19yo as long as he's in school. Well how can he be in school if he's in jail on a felony.

Re: Child support

Check with the child support enforcement agency of the county that holds the child support case. I read about this one time in small claims court, although the child was not in jail, just not living with the parent receiving the support. the paying parent won the right to discontinue child support and be paid back all the amount they had paid since the child left home. Not sure if they ever got it, but until you know for sure I would not pay another dime, if you have to pay it back, the so be it, but my guess is you will not have to continue to pay for someone who no longer lives at home.

Re: Child support

Such a tragic story. The bigger issue is an 18 yr old who already has a felony on his record. Has your husband made any attempt to visit his son in jail. This is the begining of this child's life yet it seems like the end of it. The money is important I agree because this is money which might help with rehab if it is a drug issue. My heart is breaking for the son. Maybe your husband could take the power back from the ex with his children. Perhaps start by writing to his son. Send a small amount of money to him. I think they can have you do that so he can get things for himself (special food ect.). This child is not lost yet. How long will he be in prison? Can you incourage your husband to try and open the channels of communication here? My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.