Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Name still on mortgage after 6 years

My ex and I divorced in 2012. We had bought a house together in 2007. Both had put down 10% of the downpamwnt amounting to 40000 each. At the time if divorce he had me sign away the house to his name alone. I was so emotionally distraught that I didn't even get a copy of the papers. And was stupid enough to trust him when he said he'll take my name of the loan. I walked away with nothing as I didn't hire a divorce lawyer.

I found out late 2018 that my credit rating was low and was shocked to discover the cause. Yes, my name was still on the mortgage and the bank refuses to take it off even though I sent them the divorce papers. When I called and confined my ex he promised to take my name off. 6 months later he still hasn't done anything.

Can I sue him? The divorce was mutual and granted nothing to me. I'm worried about the future and if I can buy a house again. What can I do now after so many years have passed?

Re: Name still on mortgage after 6 years

Most mortgage lenders will not let you just take a name off of the mortgage. The person keeping the house has to refinance, which basically is them getting a new mortgage in their name only, and using the money from that mortgage to pay off the old one that is in both names.

If he's making the payments as he should, your name being on the mortgage should not be lowering your credit score. If he's missing payments, you are liable too, and the lender won't care that you haven't been living there for six years.

Contact the city or county where the house is located, and see whose name is on the deed, to be sure you really were taken off of that. Also contact the court where your divorce was filed and processed, and get a copy of the papers. Since you jointly owned a house at the time, there should be something in there about who is keeping it, and who is responsible for paying the mortgage going forward. If the decree said he was supposed to remove your name from the mortgage, he's in violation of the decree.

Definitely talk to an attorney. They can help you get that information and then tell you what you can do to fix the situation. Good luck!