Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
only 7 days out since he left

I'm guessing that what I'm feeling is pretty common--overwhelmed, frightened but somewhat grateful.

He announced he was leaving on a Friday at 4:30 pm--no time for me to engage a lawyer before Monday; he tried to get me to validate the separation and told me that "we could maybe get back together at some point".

Then he left for a social event and, just by accident, I discovered that he had removed all our financial records. Later, again by accident, I found that he had already removed some common belongings.

But he left his computer out. So I took it. Apart from paper records it contains all our household information. But it's extensively password protected and it does have his business files on it as well. I felt bad about doing it, but flight or fight had kicked in by then.

When he returned that evening and found that I had taken the computer, he was verbally abusive and threatening.

Sorry for the long intro, but is this how others feel? Has someone else done things they feel ambivalent about?

Re: only 7 days out since he left

The first tho you need to do is get a lawyer ASAP. My ex had bought a shredder I thought he was doing some cleaning up and getting rid of old papers. I never thought in a million years he would’ve been getting rid of evidence. But no Matt what you can still get it from the financial companies. Which is what my lawyer did....... I found out he was gambling online paying some pay pal account, had us in $150 thousand dollars in debt. He had the nerve to say the real person ( me) would come out. I decided I had to fight or I would’ve been left with nothing! You fight girl!
Wish you the best

Re: only 7 days out since he left

Thanks. Gratefully, I had an attorney from the time I considered separating from him before. This attorney is great. Yes to the shredding and the secrecy.

So sorry for your similar experience.