Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need advice ASAP

II’ve been married to my husband since I was 17 I am now 38 20 years later. We bought a house four years ago and it’s in his name only due to my failed credit. I do know that half and half is what we will share but in the end I pay all the mortgage out of my own bank account and mostly all the bills I do not want to sell my house my kids are established here with school and friends they are only six and eight years old but this man will make sure he fights me for this house does anybody know my legal rights to this house Like I said I pay all the mortgage on my own banking account with only my name in it I put a pool in the backyard and a $5000 deck is there anyway I can keep this house without a fight....The reasoning of my divorce is my husband has turned into an alcoholic and has verbally and mentally abusive and I can’t take it no more and my boys don’t need to see any of that

Re: Need advice ASAP

Sorry to hear you are going thru this! Are you on the deed to the house? I’m in a similar situation my name is not on the mortgage loan but is on the deed to the house. If you’re on the deed to the house, you have much as right to fight for the house as he do. Being unlisted on the mortgage is minor you can be added to the loan account as an authorized party. Most mortgage companies offer home retention programs for hardships and legal separation/ divorce. Do you have a lawyer yet?

No my name isn’t on anything but I’m still been married to that man since 17 everything should still be 50/50 reguardless....I don’t have funds to get a lawyer yet I need help with that also I live in Pennsylvania

I think i can help with that, reach me via email rainlord658@gmail.com

Nervous: Sometimes the first visit with a Lawyer is free. See if there is a women's services center in your area or someplace offering free "pro bono" legal services for women. Judges are usually kid friendly and you may get the house in which to raise the kids in. My friend did. She also refinanced the house after she got it through the court system/Judge so she could afford to keep it. I got my house (daughter was 18) and my ex got his retirement - a 50/50 split financially "on paper". Both our names were on the house and the Lawyer got him taken off the Deed to the house and got my name put on. My family helped a lot paying for the Lawyer, so maybe yours could, too, some. Family Lawyers who also deal with custody/child support/divorce are best when kids are concerned. My ex started drinking a lot at the end of our marriage so I do sympathize.