Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Passport for minor children

I am seeking help about obtaining passports for my two boys.. the father has a substance abuse issue, and there is currently an investigation involving molestation from one of my ex husband's friends... the sheriff's department here in Illinois is well aware of his past and thinks it would be in the best interest to get passports and look at relocation.. but I talked to different attorneys with different answers. Some say they doubt I can get rights revoked, while others say I definitely have an excellent shot of sole custody... I was actually granted full custody of my old er son in the divorce, then my ex and I tried working things out and had my younger child.. we split again and I was taken back to court with him trying to obtain custody and establish paternity of my younger son.. it was settled out of court, and at that point, I was granted TEMPORARY CUSTODY of both boys and that was 5 years ago! I do t know how this works with obtaining passports, but I'm living a nightmare. My middle son wants to move overseas. He is only 11, however. The sheriff is willing to be subpoenaed for court to assist. But I cannot afford an attorney I know can help, and legal aid is not being very helpful...
Any advice??

Re: Passport for minor children

As far as I have ever heard, you either have to have sole legal custody and/or that as the other parent, he has to sign off on them obtaining passports. Sorry. :( I'm betting you're going to have to go through the custody part of all of this first and get it finalized before you can get the passports.

Re: Passport for minor children

That is really nice that the Sheriff's Dept. is willing to assist. Research the custody laws in your State on a reputable on line site. I think you have a good chance of getting sole custody, especially if their dad isn't getting any help. If you have family who can help you pay for a Lawyer....If you are broke, see if there are any Lawyers in your area doing "pro bono" (free) legal help for women. See if there is a women's services center in your area with help getting free legal help for court involved mothers. Best wishes.