Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
spending time with ex-

Hi all, I wanted to know if anyone else is in my situation. My ex-husband was verbally abusive to me. He acted out in front of my family, kids, in public, etc. We went to counseling, but as soon as the counselor recommended he come by himself to dig deep and work on his anger issues he got mad and defensive and refused because they were "our problems", not "his problems."

So I filed for divorce, wasn't sure how he would respond when I told him I had filed. I did all the things my attorney told me to do; locked up the guns, told him in a public place, had a bag packed to go to my sister's, etc.

To my surprise, he broke down and cried, said he understood and wouldn't fight me on it. We used my attorney, he agreed to a generous alimony, sold the house, divided our belongings without conflict. Our boys are both in college, so no minor children issues.

Here is my question, ever since then he insists that God opened his eyes to how he treated me, apologizes to me, is trying to make it up to me and prove that "he is not that man anymore", etc. and he really has been nice and very pleasant to be around. We are able to spend time together with both boys, dinner, games, outings, trips, holidays, etc. I enjoying being able to spend time together without the fighting, yelling, etc. and feel like that is one gift we can give our children that they can be with both their parents at the same time without all the drama.

Sorry this is long, but question one:
He is open that he is trying to "win me back". I have told him repeatedly that that is not what I want and I am happy with the way things are and do not want to get back together- so should I not spend so much time with him?

Question two: I am getting some crap from my family/sister about why I am "dating" my ex- and I know they have little reason to like him, but any ideas on how to handle this.

Thanks! Sending love to everyone!