Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The pain

Hi, Its really hard to deal with the pain of divorce. Its really important to find a tribe of people who can help you through it. I found this webinar that talks all about moving from pain to power with divorce. You should check it out. https://messyimperfectlife.lpages.co/divorce

You can sleep?

It's never easy. And to be honest, it always seems to remain present somewhat, depending on how long you were with the person.

If you read "20 Years Gone: A Divorce Story" by Dorian Wright, you will see others who have gone through similar situations as yourself, if not worse.

Be thankful for your health, your mental state, and the gift that you still get to start anew once more.

Good message

I lived your days and nights just 5 years ago and while the para dime has shifted to less exciting things in the divorce due to our daughter, I will likely never forget the pain I felt the day to the week to the months that followed. My best words of advice as many others have shared is this:
1. see your doctor, confide in them, if you don't have a dr. get one. Someone you can trust, can call, lean on, cry to, scream at. While your friends and family want to be there for you, they don't know what to say or how to help you feel better. A Dr. is a recipe for success. They are able to prescribe meds if needed. Anxiety and fear are fairly common when your marriage ends no matter if you have children or not or it was a lengthy marriage or whether he/she was your best friend. You are human, you have a heart and you likely believed in your vows, therefore pain is the sign that screams you are alive. Don't let the tears take over your health but if you need to hang out in sadness for a bit, it is ok. If you need a little help for a bit from a chemistry adjustment, it's ok to talk to your dr. You need time to mourn. It is only natural. I experienced feelings I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Panic attacks, night terrors, feelings of hopelessness, failure, just plain fear. I did a lot of reading once I was able to pick myself up off the floor. There are some great resources like workbooks. I'm a big fan of workbooks as it puts you in "real time" to face all your fears and pain vs. suppressing it, or shelving it.
Another big thing that will help you as you work through this is find a hobby. I remember getting so mad when people would say "find a hobby... blah blah blah shut up people!!!". But believe me when I say, it helped. I started writing, then sketching, doodling, and believe it or not, I found an inner talent I never knew existed. I am an artist. I paint, draw, sketch, and wow the pain that exited my body through a brush, pencil or even chalk... any kind of writing utensil worked. I'm not a renowned artist by any means but I could sell my stuff if I had the desire. So find a hobby, look deep within yourself. You'll find you again and you are someone's dream, so don't give up on you!! Step one is remember who is number 1 - YOU! Don't fall out of love with yourself just because the person you thought was the best of the best changed their mind. Their loss your gain. Hard to see right now, but you will in time. DO YOU!! Best of luck. I hope this helps some!

Hi Liz,

Can you give me the titles of a few workbooks that worked well for you? It's the first week of my separation, and I feel TERRIBLE.