Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parenting time

I’m not going through a divorce... however, I have a child with a narcissist. My daughter is now 4 years old... her father and I were never married. In fact, he missed out on the first year and a half of her life and never asked to see her until he was served child support papers. I spent $20,000 and we came up with a parenting plan. Recently he became married, and his current wife has inserted herself in our parenting plan. Our current plan allows him one night a week (which he misses at least once a month). He is now taking me back to court asking for 4 nights per week. I know that this is because he wants to pay less child support. I don’t have the money to continually fight him. However, I’m terrified at the thought of losing more time with my daughter, especially when he doesn’t take full advantage of the time he is currently getting.

I live in Oregon, and we have what they call a “standard parenting plan” here... however, we can’t use that as a template because we both work weekends... I work Saturday, Sunday, Monday from 4:30am-5:00pm... and he has every Sunday off and one weekday that changes every week. I’m scared for my daughter and he is trying to use my work schedule against me. If anyone has ANY advice on what to do I would appreciate it! If you work weekends and have ideas on a parenting plan I would love to hear that as well. I feel like we will never get away from this. It’s like ever since he has had to pay child support he controls how I spend it by continually dragging me back to court. And each time I lose more time with my daughter who I have always done everything for... please help.

Re: Parenting time

What you wrote seems reasonably good. Ideally you can have a lawyer deal with this but if not, a simple and clear presentations can be effective (the problem with most pro ses is convoluted, confusing, legalistic, and belligerent papers which do not convince the judge and they then assume he/she was paid off by the other side).

You should see if there are legitimate concerns on the other side and perhaps try to work with his wife. That said, the many times he failed to come is important here.