Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Family issues

Hi everyone,

Very new here but I hope to find some help.

My parents divorced few years ago with quite a bad ending, resulting that the communication was almost broken between them.

About a year ago, my mom has found a new partner in her life which helped her moving on. She regained confidence and self-esteem and is feeling happy again. Her partner is a black Afro-Carribean man. Sadly when my dad learnt about the existence of this man, he reacted very badly, disapproving him mainly because of his skin color.

Two months ago, my sister also started a new relationship with a man of black ethnicity.
Since then, my father decided to stop talking to my sister too.
Has anyone experienced something similar?
Is there any chance that my dad can open the dialogue to my sister again?
As per myself I am still talking to him, although my situation is obviously not easy either.

Thank you.

Re: Family issues

Hello, Tonydl. I hear your heart and the concerns you're having. How old are you and how old is your sister? Based on that, your relationship with your father would vary.

The way you describe your father is a typical racist. I personally haven't experienced that. But I know a teenage girl who's father reacted the same way because she had friends she hang out at school that were African Americans. She was so mature about it and described her view about people of different skin color as being no different below the skin. She would not budge when he asked her not to be friends with them. Her dad divorced her mom when she was 4 or 5. Now they don't talk about the issue. But my little friend spoke her mind, so now her dad knows where she stands about it.

Your dad has no say. It's not his life. If he chose not to talk to your sister, that's his loss. Eventually he'll come around. But racisms won't go away. Sorry buddy.

Good luck!