Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Almost 18

HI, sorry to hear about your troubles. It is must be tough going through this as a child.

Seeing both parents is very important unless there is something that is not heathly going on.

I suggest you see a counciller if you can and get professional help.

I hope for you all the best and take care of yourself...stay healthy in this troubling world.

At 18,you are an adult. Visitation no longer applies. You can have whatever relationship you like with your parents and the court has nothing to say about it.

Exactly. The day if your 18h birthday, you decide where you live and who you'll see. No one can make you do anything you don't want unless you allow them to. It will feel weird at first but you will get used to it. A counselor will help you process the transition period. It will take a lot of expressing your opinions, cause you do have them, and need to verbalize them. No need to be mean about it, just firm. But in order to be firm, you need to be sure, and founded.

My son is almost 18, and he will be in the same boat. Are you still in school? Do you have a teacher you look up to? Now more than ever, teachers are available via social media. In the meantime, I recommend you grab a notebook and write your plan, your thoughts, your feelings. Maybe write a letter to your dad, practicing what you want to tell him when you're 18. Cause that conversation WILL come up. Not now, but after you're 18.

Good luck little one. Keep posting also. I find good brains in this forum.

T