Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Longer Paying Alimony (my only income)

I appreciate any suggestions! Long story hopefully short. My ex and I divorced after a long 24 year marraige. Although he was making around 140k a year then, he conveniently got discharged from that job before our divorce paperwork was filed.
Our youngest was 18, and we were both done so we used a legal service to file. No attorneys. Everything was split 50/50 and because I chose to be a stay at home mom I had no income to support myself, however, I agreed he would pay me $600.00 monthly alimony for 10 years.
He paid every month for nearly 2 years when this last March 2020, he decided he was done paying.
A little history, presently he's a practicing drug addict and during our marriage he used meth and cheated many times. I stayed with him for those many years because his cheating I assumed was do to his using drugs, and he always tried to get help in recovery and did get court ordered drug treatment many times.
I'm presently living with my dad as his 24/7 caregiver in crime ridden large city around 3.5 hours away. My father, who's in hospice with Parkinson's and Dimentia, is hanging on, and I'm now in my 2nd year with no income, no family support other than living with my sweet father.
I don't have any money for an attorney, however I feel it's wrong that he is choosing to not pay. He is on Bench Probation here in California near me, and I can no longer communicate due to his his jealous new girlfriend blocking me from texts and calls since he stopped paying.
When he went to do the paperwork, (because I couldn't pay the fee for it and we agreed to file with a legal service.) He's one that chose the amount to pay $600.00, he didn't have a job then and had failed to file for unemployment at that time. I hear he was recently receiving Pandemic Unemployment. Not my problem. Now that he's using that he's unemployed as a reason not to pay, it's not ok. He has a substantial retirement's fund, property, and now is working. I truly don't care where the money is coming from, I simply need to be paid. I can't get those many years back that I supported this man, but I feel the least he can do is follow a legal judge signed court order to pay his $600.00. (I'm truly sorry for going on and on) any help suggestions to file this contempt for little to no $....I would greatly appreciate! Thank you for your time, Geri

Re: No Longer Paying Alimony (my only income)

I’m sorry, I don’t have any legal advice as I’m going through a similar situation. I just wanted to you to know, I feel that fire that’s probably burning inside you right now. If it wasn’t for our kids, I wouldn’t be upset if he accidentally drove off a cliff. Reading this just reminded me I’m not the only person who’s dealing with this. Sorry to ramble, but I FEEELLLL YOU GIRL!!