Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not sure how to proceed

Hello, I am not sure what to do. I can’t find out if I’m actually divorced. In 1992 I separated from my husband. Perhaps I should start a bit earlier. I am an American citizen my “ex” is Canadian. We were married in Canada. We moved to the U.S. and lived here. We separated and went our own way, no children no real ties. I understand he is remarried and has children and lives in Canada. I have tried to contact him to find out about a divorce. He won’t call me back and blocks my tries to contact him by phone, and social media. How can I find out about a divorce? Short of a Private Investigator I’m not sure what to do.

Re: Not sure how to proceed

Hi,

I don't know the answer for sure, but find out what the legal process is re: where a divorce would have been registered. Is it where you lived at the time he left you? Is it in the city you got married in, in Canada?

Have you received a financial settlement from him? It could even be (again, I'm not sure), that you're still legally married and he has committed bigamy, which may be a crime! That might be why he's avoiding your attempts to contact him (maybe)... It might also mean potentially that you're entitled to file for divorce and claim a financial settlement? I'd certainly be looking into that potential...Maybe spousal maintenance too?!

It all depends on the applicable laws. Could you ask a lawyer re: how to find out if you're still married to him? It may even be possible for searches to be carried out electronically? If there's potential for bigamy, I wonder if the cops can advise you of how to go about ascertaining whether or not you're still married to him (on paper)? I just Googled 'bigamy' and this is what it said:

'...Bigamy can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor, depending on state laws.'

Did you ever receive divorce documents? Were you asked to sign anything? Discuss finances? Agree in writing 'who got what' when you split?

Sorry to be so vague. I don't the answer, but I'd certainly be proactive in booking a half hour consultation with a family law lawyer :)