Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reconciliation

I have been divorced for several months now. My ex husband and I are in the process of reconciliation. My family is not in support. Any thoughts?

Re: Reconciliation

Hi, Your post is quite short, so I don’t know much of the background of your situation, but I think it would be prudent to be very careful. Think back to the reasons why you divorced each other. It’s easy to reminisce through rose-tinted glasses. Divorce is a mentally testing and financially stressful experience. People generally don’t enter into it lightly, so why did you both? What were the reasons (be honest with yourself-no need to post the reasons here-just reflect on them to yourself).

Loneliness can also cause previously-married people to ‘cling’ to each other later down the track. For some people, in certain situations, a familiar ex can seem like a safety net compared to dating utter strangers via dating sites etc. From what I’ve read over the years however, it rarely works out long-term. Unless both parties are truly willing (and actually DO follow through with) ironing out whatever differences came between them in the first place, then the second time round relationship is pretty much headed down a dead-end road.

I can understand your family having concerns. They probably witnessed how stressed you were re: the divorce. Their reaction is a natural one, as they mostly likely want to protect you from getting hurt all over again.

As a cynical side note - more a generalised question really I’d ask anyone in this situation, would be: How did the financial split work out in the divorce? Could it be he didn’t do too well and wants a chance for a second ‘round?’ As I say, I sound cynical, but believe me, it’s not unheard of (sadly)...

Sorry if my post seems a bit negative. I would urge considered caution though. Can you be just friends instead (but not ‘friends with benefits’), so you are free to find someone else but also have a safety net of someone familiar to chat to? Again...NOT sexual, just friendship, so you maintain healthy boundaries...otherwise it’s going to get very complicated for you potentially isn’t it, if he suddenly does a ‘U’ turn and leaves you for someone else, with no strings attached as you’re no longer married?
Hugs 🤗

Re: Reconciliation

Sorry you are going through this . How many months has it been since you divorced?