Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Domestic abuse

Hi, My husband of 32 years as announced he wants a divorce. He yells and swears at me daily and sometimes becomes unsettlingly angry. This weekend, he demanded we complete consent orders to divide up our finances and assets. I agreed. I got my laptop and calculator ready to go through the process. He then told me I'd have to wait hours until he was ready. He's self-employed and was working on his accounts.

After several hours (while I was on a different floor of our house), he began swearing at me (I was quietly sat texting a friend). When I went upstairs to ask him what was wrong, he really began verbally abusing me, saying there is no way he is going to share his income details or savings details with me for the consent order application process. I calmly tried to explain to him that it was not me being 'difficult,' and the court requires honestly and full-disclosure to be made by BOTH of us. I told him I had my bank details open on my web browser ready to show him my balances. I tried to reassure him that the court only needs to know gross, not net income details and doesn't need to know what he's been spending money on.

He got really angry and kicked in a bookcase shelf and grabbed a bladed knife (a Stanley knife), rolled up one of his sleeves and feigned slashing his wrist. I am a full-time uni (college) student with very limited income in Australia. If he refuses to disclose the basic financial details needed to complete a consent order application, I don't have sufficient income to engage a lawyer to go for financial orders instead.

His anger outbursts are insane. In July this year, I was about to walk from one room into another while carrying a glass of milk, and he was shouting at me and following me. He, completely unexpectedly, slammed the door closed on my hand. The glass shot out of my grip, he bent the two gold rings I was wearing and sliced my thumb down to the tendon. I had to go to the emergency room and have 5 stitches.

Feeling really alone. He's been so controlling over the years, that I have few friends I can tell about what's going on. Any advice? Thanks.