Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not backing down

Hello, I’ve been reading some posts on this board and have such respect and admiration for all the strong women here!
I recently decided to end my marriage. I have wanted to do this for a long time- I was very sick (stage 4 cancer) for a while, and he wasn’t much of a support. He couldn’t handle my illness or the kids, he said... at the time we had two young children. I think he resented me at the time. I was the one who had always worked- I had a very good career- and he was in a part time job. Now I had to reduce hours and make less. Since that time we have grown apart. He is very angry that I want to end the marriage and says he will have nowhere to go (I bought the house with premarital assets) and that it is a stupid idea, that I can’t take care of myself or the children... basically that he refuses to leave. It’s true that I get tired easily (after 5 years of treatment it isn’t surprising) but I love my boys and do try hard as a mother. I feel like my personality is not as strong as his and I will give in yet again, but I’m really trying to stand my ground. I tried to be very generous and offer him enough money to get his own place, etc., but he was insulted and said I don’t get to decide what he gets. I don’t know why I’m even posting- maybe to put it out there that I’m not going to give in. Thank you for reading this.

Re: Not backing down

I genuinely admire your courage and congratulations on beating your cancer! Your strength shines through even in your post. I commend you in knowing what you want even when you’re meeting challenges. I think it’s difficult for any man to handle a strong will of a woman unless he too is strong. Women today are unlike women of past times we have a voice louder then ever yet we still have a ways to go. Your drive, career, belief and strength will carry you. Trust in the path and allow yourself to be free of relationships bogged by resentment. Going through a traumatic life experience such as cancer recovery often puts things in perspective and shows you how short life can be. We are all here on borrowed time hence spend our time wisely with meaning in everyday.