Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Husband has a background and wants to be primary parent

Hi, I would get a second opinion from a different lawyer. I don’t live in the USA so am not sure what the rules are re: relocating. It’s not as if you’re suggesting moving to a different country, only a different State... I hope someone from the USA can shed some light on this for you.

If you can prove he’s dealing weed, I’d also be surprised if a court would favour him having custody of your child over you? Also, the charge that landed him in prison, if it’s permitted to be mentioned in court also during divorce proceedings, may also impact on the court’s decision-It would depend I guess on whether ‘rehabilitation’ has happened or not, and the severity of the offence that was committed also perhaps?

It doesn't matter Arizona is a 50/50 state. he has the upper hand due to being employed and having a place for our son to live. I am the one that will have to leave and once I move to Las Vegas I am not able to keep the 50/50 policy for our child. So in the end he will get what he wants. I cant afford a lawyer and once he files for divorce I cant leave the state until the divorce is final.
We both made our mistakes in the marriage but I was the only one that took the necessary steps to change and after I proved to him that therapy and will power could make such the biggest difference. He still chose to keep talking down to me and accussing me of this and accussing me of that and used drugs and expected me to still stay by his side and take the verbal and emotional abuse that he was doing. I have finally had enough and now that I asked for a divorce he is in the position to havethe upper hand. I did the right thing and raised both of my boys and now the son we share is being used as a pawn. I am being forced to agree to terms I am not ok with.

Surely a potential solution then might be (if you are able to of course) - Get a job, rent your own place for you and your child to live in and not leave the State until he’s independent ie grown up. How is leaving your child in the care of a drug dealer ok, compared to you wanting to be nearer to family? If you get a job, you can pay to fly to visit them every once in a while... What am I missing here? Sorry if I’m missing something here.

So I have decided to stay in Arizona. My son is only 6 months and it would be better for him. I am still going to get a divorce. I've already started looking for a job and looking for an affordable apartment. i just have to create my own support system out here.

Well done Janae! 🙏🌻

Thank you. It hasn't been easy by any means. My husband is beyond difficult to deal with. I get a divorce is something we never thought we would be going through but here we're no need to be an ass just because your mad that isnt going to make anything better. We have a child together and his life is in our hands and we need to be focused on him.