Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What can I do during a divorce ?

Hello Everyone
I filed for divorce 6 months ago from the LA Superior Court there were professional paralegals that helped me to
Fill up the divorce papers for a very low cost
I am Thankful for them
So far the process has been going through
I only have a joint account from my marriage is it too late for me to withdraw money from the joint account during a divorce?
Or should I start looking for a Lawyer so she can explain what I can do
I do not have any other source of income since the joint account is linked to a business we have together and he is the one that controls the income received

If I hire a lawyer I will have no choice to pay their services from the business account
What can I do ?
Any advice or knowledge about this situation will be greatly appreciated

(I heard from some people that I was able to withdraw 1/2 of the money we have together before filing it)

Re: What can I do during a divorce ?

Pay a consulting fee put it on you personal credit card and pay for an hour of a lawyers time to figure it out.

That or go find free legal services and find out.

I consulted 3 different lawyers 4 years ago the first time I thought about a divorce. you can pay them for 1 hour of the time as a consultant without paying a retaining fee.

Re: What can I do during a divorce ?

If you know what the date of filing is then you are entitled to half of what was in the account. You can wait until community property is settled or do it now. As good faith you could send your ex a message & let him know your intentions or let him know after. Either way, you are entitled to 1/2 (that is at the time you filed for divorce. That is when you community of acquets & gains terminated.)