Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How did you divorce a husband who doesn’t want a divorce?

Hi Linda,

I was in a similar situation. I wanted the divorce, but my husband did not. He was also very controlling, emotionally abusive and had horrible outbursts.

Once I made up my mind, I found a divorce attorney. I spent several months working with her and setting up a plan. I did not tell my husband anything. She had me get my finances straight, make copies of all legal and financial documents, remove my personal valuables from the home, etc. We filed for the divorce and then I told my husband.

She had a list of recommendations for me. I did not tell him at home, I had a plan to not go back to the house for a couple of nights, etc.

Surprisingly my ex- handled it well, but he could just have easily blown up about it. But, I had already filed so there wasn't a discussion about can I/can't I, should I/shouldn't I divorce him, because it was done.

Good luck!
Kelly

I am so sorry you had to go through that. Congratulations to you on getting out and going through with your divorce.
I really appreciate the support. I do have all my documents together and separate bank account, I also have a free 30 minute consultation with a divorce attorney on Wednesday. I guess I need to be patient and wait till I have had the consultation and maybe things will be come clearer.

I'm glad you have a plan. I will tell you that I am so much happier now!

Good luck!
Kelly

Following your thread as I am in the same boat. I wish I had some advice for you. I know my husband doesn't want a divorce and would right away victimize himself if I suggested it. I'm just starting to feel like an idiot giving him all these chances to change and he never does. Promises to the moon and back and it never sticks. I should probably try what you are doing and at least visit with a divorce lawyer. Let me know how the consultation went. :)

Hi, the consultation went really well. It made me feel more at ease that when I am ready, I have someone good to go too. She also told me lots of people go back and forth contemplating like I do, sometimes it takes them a year to take the step and file.
I would recommend finding a free consultation with a lawyer just to talk things through if you are having trouble deciding. I wish you well

I'm glad the consultation went well for you. I imagine its very helpful to get to know the process and have questions answered. God only knows how long I'll continue to go back and forth before I make up my mind. I'm too scared to go to a consult yet. I guess it makes it too real for me...or I'm worried he'll find out somehow.
Keep us posted in the future how things are going for you. I'll be rooting for you :)