Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I need a contested divorce but I can't afford a lawyer I'm on SSI

I'm in need of a contested divorce
My husband cheated on me in 2003 and abandoned the home and left me and my daughter to survive on our own.He cheated and had 2 boys back to back with his mistress,he said he would do me a favor by taking his name off the lease.So we did a quick claim deed and a assumption,where I had to pay the closing cost. He said all he wanted was his clothes,tools, and the running car. We went to a notary so that he could sign a promissory note stating that he would pay child support and insurance for our daughter. He never paid child support and only paid insurance until our daughter was 15,due to him stating that his job shut down and played all employees off. But he did receive severance pay and I believe he rolled his 401k into the bank and put it in his mistresse's name. For at least 6 years after he moved out he would constantly be with me and would tell that we were going to get back together.After a while I realized it was just a lie,and told him I wanted a divorce,he would curse me and tell me to leave it alone!!! Buy this time I had became totally disabled, but I never stopped telling him I wanted a divorce. I became
Naive and dumbfounded and believed him when he told me that were common law divorced and that he and his mistress were comm law married,yes I believed this I had already had a slight nervous breakdown due to him cheating and I had,had two other breakdowns before he cheated. I had no clue about divorces and I took marriage very serious,due to my strict religion upbringing.Well a couple of weeks ago I spoke with a nephew who I had not spoken to in some years,he had no clue that me and my husband were still married and have been apart for 17 years. He was deeply hurt and upset,he told me that he had been divorced four times, and each time he had to pay monies from his 401k and his bank account to his ex wife. He told me to try and find a divorce lawyer and that my husband owes me monies especially for being still married to me and living with his mistress for 17 years and making me and my daughter suffer for his adultery and abandonment.The problem is I only get SSSIDI once a month, I make just enough to pay mortgage,bills, doctor's copays,food and personals. I have been trying to get legal aid to help,but they don't even respond. I get depressed just struggling to find a lawyer who will help me. I hope that you all can help me or lead me to someone who can. Thank you in advance.