Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lazy husband+Grad school

I’m in my first year of grad school w/a lazy, unsupportive spouse. I’m burning out & barely holding on. I’m at my wits end.

Re: Lazy husband+Grad school

Hi, I'm sorry to hear things are tough for you. Do you have a counselling service available through your college? Does your partner know that you feel they are not being very supportive? Have you talked with them? There's no point burning out, so something clearly needs to change... Can you suggest household tasks/the care of any children you have, is shared? A roster perhaps? Employing help (such as a cleaner?) Arranging 1 evening a week where you get to focus on study and a second evening or day that's just for 'you' to exercise/take time out? Is the issue financial pressures/household chores not being shared? Little emotional support? Whatever it is, it needs to be talked through. Study can place real pressure on the individual and a relationship. It can be stressful in its own right; plus add the responsibilities of a relationship and everyday life on top and 'boom!' - life can become pretty sucky, quickly. But...all is not lost :) Usually, it takes some talking, planning/scheduling and a heart-to-heart to get things back on track. I'd consider talking with a counsellor/therapist first to create an action plan about how to approach your spouse with your concerns. Is two-way compromise an option do you think?

Good luck with your studies 👍🏼 Hang in there 🌸