Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What happens when you call emotional abuser on their bluff to leave you

My husband has threatened to leave me so many times over the past years. He is verbally abusive and calls me names when he is angry.

I always end up begging him to stay. Currently, he has an appointment scheduled later this week with a divorce attorney and said he plans to move out. I am finally to a point of accepting that this is for the best. No more asking him to reconsider. Is there a chance though, that he won't actually go through with it? Should I be aware of anything? I would like to make the divorce as amicable as possible, especially since we have a child, but he's just such a wild card that I don't know what will happen.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Re: What happens when you call emotional abuser on their bluff to leave you

I was you always being the one who begged. Finally I called his bluff and he decided he didn’t want a divorce after all. I then followed through and after 43 years of being married to a horrible control freak I was divorced. Our so called friendly divorce took 4 yrs and cost us tens of thousands of dollars. His abuse became physical and he tried to strangle me which landed him out of our home for good and in jail. He lied,,cheated and stole from me. You need the lawyer not him. Gather all your documents while you can. Get as much money together as you can. Don’t give away the farm thinking you want him back. I wasted most of my adult life miserable. Please don’t do the same. You can do this,

Re: What happens when you call emotional abuser on their bluff to leave you

I echo what Lily has advised. Please don't put yourself on a back foot by waiting to see what he's going to do. Don't be a 'sitting duck.' Please talk with a divorce lawyer. It sounds as if your husband has been controlling your emotions by constantly threatening to divorce you. You've said he's verbally abusive towards you? Please take a look online at the 'Deluth Power and Control Wheel.' It can be a real eye-opener to realising that you may (potentially) have been victimised in other aspects of the relationship too. He found a 'tool' that kept your behaviours in check ie. When he threatened to leave you over and over, no did you become compliant and find your wishes and 'voice' were sidelined? Ie: Did he become more controlling of you and your actions, whilst slowly but surely, your self-confidence in being able to stand up for yourself was chipped away at?

I think it might help you to speak with a counsellor (as well as a divorce lawyer). You say he's a 'wildcard' who is unpredictable? If I were you, I'd start exploring my legal rights-such as-can you stay in your home after the divorce? What about custody of your child? 50/50? Or more time with you? Please don't communicate with him directly regarding how things will be split re: divorce settlement. The fact you've 'begged' him a few times, indicates a power imbalance exists between you. Better therefore to communicate through a lawyer who can protect your interests and 'bat the ball back' when the 'games' begin. I guess most of us wish for an amicable, fair divorce situation. The reality is however, often very far from being amicable or fair. I'd start doing your research. ('Forewarned is fore-armed' as they say).🌸