Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ? ?

Sorry you had to go though this too
Wishing you the best 🙏

Hi Mary Beth,

I am so sorry that you are going through this.
To answer your question, it does not get better on its own.

We did go to marriage counseling; which he would do if it was about "us", but as soon as our therapist tried to speak to him about his behavior (he would put me down and criticize me in front of the therapist), he would get mad and defensive. It could be "our" problem, but not "his".

I started going on my own, which made a huge difference. My therapeutic advice was basically "grow a pair" and "stop being such a doormat." I started standing up to him, telling him his behavior was unacceptable, my therapist recommended that if he started getting too bad to just grab my car keys and leave the house.

I got to where I could just stand there and look at him as he yelled and raged at me; I didn't respond, get upset or cry like I used to. I was able to emotionally disconnect from him.

Since our divorce, I am so so happy! I live in peace and quiet in my own home, it is fabulous.

Now, since our divorce he has gone to therapy and is taking appropriate medication. We are able to get along and do things together with our children. He would like to get back together, but that will never happen.
But it really took my filing for divorce to give him the "kick in the head" that he really needed help.

So it is all good.
It can get better for you!!

Wishing you all the best!
Kelly

Hi Kelly

He does not believe in marriage counseling , he says is waste of money

My opinion about my situation is
He rather win a fight than keep peace in our marriage

Take care

I understand.

I would really recommend that you go to counseling on your own. That really made the difference for me!

Hugs :)
Kelly

Thank you
I will find one
🤗 🙏