Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broken

I never imagined being here. A brand new house, 2 beautiful girls, and an affair.

I just found out he wants a divorce and was having an affair with someone from work. He says our marriage is terrible and he has been unhappy a long time coming and she makes him feel wanted and loved.

We do have marriage issues and fighting but it stems from drinking. He is an alcoholic.. in oct he got an aggravted dwi and put on probation and he still hasnt learned and continues to drink and get behind the wheel.

We have been married 7 years. We have a 5yo and 19 month old that adore their daddy. I am a mess. I have no friends, nothing. I have no idea where we are going to live. The housing market is insane and ill be paying more a month in rent in an apartment than this house! But I cannot afford to pay him the 100k in equity we have in this house. I am so distraught.

What am i going to do?

Re: Broken

I am so sorry that you are going through this.

My first suggestion is to consult with a divorce attorney.
Why would you move out of your house? Maybe he would be the one to move out and buy you out. Maybe you will need to sell the house, take your part of the equity and find something else.

He would likely be required to pay you child support and possibly alimony. So, don't feel like you will have to financially take care of everything on your own.

It sounds like he is not able/willing to give his full commitment to your marriage, so it might be healthier for you to not be married to him anymore. I understand your girls love their father, they will still see him and have a relationship with him. you don't have to be married for that.

Some of my best friends came from other parents. Find a play group, parent group at your child's school, church group.

Get an attorney, work the problem step by step, stay strong and protect your rights.

Good luck!
Kelly