Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vehicle Purchased Before Marriage

I purchased a vehicle in July 2020 with my own money in California before we were married. We got married in October 2020 and moved to Missouri in April 2021. I filed for divorce in October 2021 however, could not locate him at the time and we had gotten back together again.

On May 27, 2022, my car was driving fine. I got up on May 28, 2022 and got in my car and it was running rough. I thought that I just needed gas because it was getting low. I put gas in but it got worse so I just parked my car in the parking lot of my aparment until I can get someone out with a diagnosis tool.

On June 4, 2022 I had a mobile mechanic come and look at my car. He thought it was the timing belt that needed replaced and I had my car towed to his shop. He told me the timeing kit cost $165.00 so I sent him the money. He picked the part up on June 5, 2022 but couldn't get to my car until he finished up on another one he was working on.

June 6, 2022, I got the order of protection and my husband had to 1 hour to get his stuff and leave the premises. That same afternoon, my neighbor who lives right above me was comming in the door. I apologized to her for all the yelling that she had to endure and that it will be quiet now that hes gone. She tgold me that she seen my husband the night of May 26th standing at the back passenger side of my vehicle around midnight and was watching him at my gas tank. Then he walked to the dumpster, threw something away and come back in the apartment. I never met this woman before June 6th. They had just moved in upstairs. At approximately 2:00 am on June 7, 2022, the mechanic text me and told me it was not the timing belt. He showed me pictures of sugar in my gas tank! Lots of it!

I called to file a police report, however, the police would not take a report because they said that my vehicle was martial property! I told them that I had purchased the vehicle before we were married and paid for it with my own money! The police wouldn't even take a report! Plus, I had my neighbor who witnessed my husband doing this to my vehicle with me and they would not even take her statement!

How could my car which I purchased outright before the marriage became marital property? I don't understand this at all!

Re: Vehicle Purchased Before Marriage

Do some research on sole and separate property in your state. If you can prove this you could try and make a report again armed with your proof. What is the value of this car and is it worth it to you. You could try small claims court. Sounds like your bigger problem is getting this guy out of your life! Have you filled for divorce yet.