Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mediation in Texas

I searched this topic but there wasn't really anything in here already that I could see.

I'm looking for information on how mediation works specifically in Texas, 1 child, and hopefully uncontested. I would like to get an idea of what the forms will look like and what information I will need going into mediation. I am the one filing.

Thank you

Re: Mediation in Texas

Are you representing yourself or do you have a lawyer? I did my first divorce myself in the 70s. I had two little girls. My ex and I were very cooperative with one in other and had come up with a agreement ahead of time. Mediation is usually to see if the two of you can agree without having to have a trial. Most courts have family law clinics to help with paperwork if you are representing yourself. My second divorce was a nightmare which took over 4 yrs to settle and about 35000 for my attorney fees which I had to pay myself. This was all to settle the property as there were no children from this marriage. I hope your soon to be ex will put your child first and cooperate with you, Texas is a community property state. So you each would share half the assets and debts acquired durning the marriage. Most courts a ward 50/50 custody unless one parent isn’t suitable. In my first divorce the mothers almost always got full custody with reasonable visitation for the father. My first ex was a saint and out standing dad, We have remained close friends for all these many years. I hope this will go smoothly for you

I want us to be able to go into mediation representing ourselves. Unfortunately, this is my second divorce. My first one turned into nightmare after the divorce after he remarried and suddenly I was being sued for custody. I dont feel my soon to be ex will be difficult to deal with. He wants his space and likes having a good amount of time to himself without our daughter.

For now, I don't see an issue with him as a parent, but I do feel that may change with time. I want to have our daughter be able to go back and forth for now as she wants and we both equally support her financially. I want Tx standard in place though in case he adds another adult in the mix who tries to encourage problems. In that case, I would fall back on ordered visitation etc if needed.

We have acquired debt that are two structures and land. Neither are very expensive. He values his assets more than anything and would probably take on finishig paying them both off on his own if I agree to give up any rights to them. I would if thats an option. None of that matters to me. It would cause alot of grief if I tried to keep any of that.

So, as long as I leave his money and material things alone, this should go smoothly. From what you've replied, the biggest thing is to go into mediation with our wants already figured out. I will start working on that.

Is there anywhere free online that I can look at what the paperwork looks like?

Thank you for the well wishes.

You know your ex and whether you can trust him.. I live in CA so divorce laws are different here than in TX. I just looked on line and you can probably get forms from the law library or the clerks office. Please make sure you are not giving away the farm. If you give him the properties and still are responsible for the loan that could be a real problem for you. A quit claim deed just assigns the property to him but doesn’t free you from your responsibility for the loan. I would be so careful on what you give up. Prepare for the worst case. You as you know can go back to court on child custody and support. It sounds like he isn’t going to be the caretaker. You are doing this not just for yourself but also your child. .Do it smart. Good luck!