Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Grief after divorce

All of your feelings are valid. Grief is a process with many ups and downs. You may have a good day, then a rough day; or even a rough hour and then a good hour! You will feel sad, happy, unsure of your decision, and relief- sometimes all in the same day. I am 48 and been divorced for about 10 months. Initially I felt I missed my ex, but what I actually was missing was the life I had hoped for. Nobody gets married with the expectation of divorce. Make a short list of what makes you feel good or happy- taking a walk, exercise, a hobby you enjoy. On the days you feel you lack energy or motivation you have to make yourself do something off your list!! Give yourself Grace. And time to heal

Wow you said everything I feel exactly. It’s so nice to hear the same from others. We’ve been married 25 years and separated for three months. I don’t want to get back together but I’m having a hard time letting go, because there were so many good times! And when I find myself missing him, I remind myself that what I’m really missing is companionship and longing for the future I thought I would have! For me the key has been to mostly keep busy, but also take time for myself to process emotions and cry it out!!!!!

Oh, baby girl you have so very much to look forward to. You are so young and can still afford to make a mistake now and then. Please take it from this 70 year old woman, don't waste any more of your life. Getting involved in self-help groups, and support groups is a very smart thing you are doing for yourself. You want to move on and only you are holding yourself back. Find some groups to join that you have interests in i.e. book clubs, hiking, cooking, etc. that are not geared towards couples. You may also want to look at a good anti-depressant to help get you over the hump. It certainly helped me when I went through and to this day still take one....it was a life saver. You have to grieve and go through all the stages but pick a date in the future when you are going to let go of it all and move on. So many people have gone through what you are going through and are at this very moment such as yourself. We have all survived. You will also. Dig down deep and find that will power and anger that will propel you forward into a brand new wonderful life that you create for you.